Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A thought from my devotions this morning: Exodus 2...and then 3


23 During those many days the king of Egypt died, and the people of Israel groaned because of their slavery and cried out for help. Their cry for rescue from slavery came up to God. 24And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. 25God saw the people of Israel—and God knew...
7Then the LORD said, "I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings, 8and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. 9And now, behold, the cry of the people of Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them. 10 Come, I will send you (Moses) to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt."


I highlighted and underlined the verbs to make the point that we have a relational God. And that we have an active God. Once it's understood he sees, hears, and knows the sufferings of his people, he sends Moses to be his instrument of deliverance. I thought...is he calling me to be such as Moses-a means by which people are drawn out of suffering into the kingdom of God? And another thought followed quite quickly: if you're asking if God wants to use you...the answer is always yes. See what needs to be done and do it. 
Now-this is very easily said, not easily done. We know this-especially when seeing what needs to be done requires understanding the will of God. Because it's never our agenda...it belongs to God Almighty and he alone can grasp it. So what then? Do we wait around serving ourselves while we wait for divine lightning bolts to strike? I've found that if you don't know how to do something, imitate someone who does it better than you. Therefore let's be imitators of Christ and watch his will unfold in serving him through serving others!
Seeking the will of God in serving with you,
Allison

1 comment:

  1. Yes, He is relational and active. Keep serving. love, mom

    ReplyDelete